Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!

I know, very cliche title for this recipe.

Hopefully you had a wonderful time celebrating Valentine's Day with the people you love! Mine was excellent. The husband woke me to have me solve some riddles and go on a mini scavenger hunt. This is what I found:


Yes, that is a heart shaped orchid. I love orchids!! My favorite place in DC happens to be the orchid room in the National Botanical Gardens. Anyway, isn't he the sweetest??

The rest of the day was spent with me in the kitchen making a wonderful meal for not just the husband, but our favorite couple, Chris and Helene. I made chocolate cookies 'n cream ice cream (recipe to follow,) herbs de provence chicken, roasted paprika red potatoes, green beans, (recipes soon!) and red velvet brownies (modified from this recipe.) I also decorated with some heart doilies, red candles, and pink Christmas lights. Wish I had taken a picture.

On to the ice cream!

Milk, sugar, cream, and chocolate syrup mixture. This ended up being way more then my ice cream maker could handle, and had to split it into two batches.

Added the cookies and it's churning away! Sorry for the bad picture.

Yum! This is how the husband likes his ice cream. Putting it in the freezer didn't have it harden up much more then this, which was perfect.

After the ice cream had been in the freezer for a few hours. Perfectly creamy. It was such a huge hit, along with the extra fudgy red velvet brownies!

Chocolate Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
Adapted from Sweet Tooth

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 cup and 2 TBS sugar
3 cups heavy whipping cream
1TBS vanilla extract
Chocolate syrup to your taste
About 15 Oreos- again, up to your taste


1. Make sure your ice cream maker is in the freezer for at least 24 hours, unless you're using a manual.
2. Stir the milk and sugar together in a medium-sized bowl until the sugar is dissolved.
3. Mix in the cream and vanilla (I thought 1 TBS was too much vanilla, but everyone else like the flavor.)
4. Pour the mixture into the ice cream machine, and squirt in chocolate syrup.
Note: You'll want quite a bit. I didn't measure because I was playing around with it. I also found that this recipe made way too much liquid for my ice cream maker and I had to do this in two batches.
5. Let it run for about 12 minutes, then add crushed Oreo cookies (cookie and creme center.)
6. Let run for another 3 minutes. Put the ice cream in a freezer safe container.
Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment