Tuesday, February 21, 2012

President's Day Weekend

Did you know the government actually calls Presidents Day, Washington's birthday? They don't include Lincoln's birthday; so technically it's President's Day. Just a discussion my grandmother-in-law and I had.

It was a great, long weekend with the husband. Besides catching up on sleep, which I sorely needed, we managed to make some headway on our custom book shelf. We stained the wood on Saturday, then tried to put the plolyurathane coating on, on Sunday. However, I think the temperature had become to cold for it to properly cure. Monday we found large spots on the wood where the coating had taken, or it shrunk? Not sure, but when we're finished with the entire book case I'll have a detailed post about all of it.


We also decided to have a date night for all of our hard work the last couple of weeks (painting the living room, the bookcase, and me un-cluttering the husband's office.)  We ended up at one of our favorites, Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse. Sadly it doesn't really go with me trying to go gluten free (not to due celiac) since most of their sauces contain gluten, I definitely felt weighed down.

We also celebrated my husband's grandfather's 88th birthday! It was a great time. While the husband and his mom went to go pick up some Dixie Bones BBQ, Grandpa Vorobiov shared a few memories of growing up in Japan with me. It was a super special moment. I again broke my gluten free rule and had some amazing, made from scratch banana cake. As soon as I get the recipe I'll post it. It was delicious and I didn't mind breaking the gluten free for something so good!!

I also ended up watching three movies: 

Dolphin Tale- Cute movie; great for kids! And I'm about as emotional about dolphins and whales as Kristen Bell feels about sloths (here.)

Safe House- Ryan Reynolds= HOT!!! And Denzel Washington is just an amazing actor. Great date movie your guy would appreciate.

The Vow- Went and had a girls night with one of the people in my life I can not live without, Helene. Umm, all I can say is we had tears either in our eyes or streaming down our faces most of the movie. Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams have incredible chemistry. I think the guys that appreciated The Notebook, would also appreciate The Vow.


No comments:

Post a Comment