Friday, February 10, 2012

The only brownie recipe you will ever need or want.


Brownies! Very few people don't love brownies, and my husband is no exception. When we first started dating I decided to treat him to something special and make him brownies from scratch. Trust me, this is the way to win a guy's heart. Even from the get go, I had made a change to this recipe from Hershey's. I truly believe it makes all the difference. This is called Hershey's Best Brownie Recipe, and you may only see 3 stars on their website, read the comments and you'll realize everyone loves them.

In the past Hershey's had a Dutch Cocoa, but at some point got rid of it. That was my secret!! It didn't taste the same when I made them with regular cocoa, nor the special dark. My husband and friends could tell the difference. Now, they did still love them, but it frustrated me. I finally did find some dutch processed cocoa powder again at Wegman's, and quite honestly it's so much better then anything Hershey could ever make. (I'm not a fan of their chocolate....)

Anyway, here are some of the pictures with the adapted recipe to follow.


I recommend using premium quality products not only when cooking, but also when baking. It makes a difference.


1 cup melted butter, 2 cups of sugar, and 2tsp vanilla extract.



4 eggs, added one at a time, mixed together well. At this point I add the salt, but you can add it in with the flour and baking powder.



Add 3/4 cups dutch processed cocoa powder. I know, I'm a mess. And then 1 cup of all purpose flour, 1/2 tsp of baking powder. I use King Arthur's Special. Also, instead of beating it in, I like to fold and mix everything in together. It helps me get everything on the sides of the bowl, and in the end gives the brownie a bit of a light texture. Don't worry, it'll still be fudgy though!



Brownie batter....yum...! Too bad it's not gluten free.



The strip of parchment paper didn't work as planned, so please ignore. Be sure you butter the brownie pan first. You can use olive oil, safflower oil, or what ever else you usually use.



Sadly, I never got a chance to take one of those pretty foodie pictures. Maybe next time I make them.

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons Madagascar Pure Vanilla Extract (Or home made)
4 eggs
3/4 cup Rademaker Dutch Processed Cocoa (or 1/4 cup regular cocoa powder and 1/2 cup of dark cocoa powder)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt


Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
2. Place butter in large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until melted. Stir in sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well with spoon after each addition. Add salt. Add cocoa; beat until well blended. Add flour and baking powder; beat well. (NOTE: I don't beat, I fold and mix. I think it adds to the texture of the brownies, making them a little lighter.)  Pour batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. About 36 brownies.


No comments:

Post a Comment